Friday, November 11, 2011

The Writer Must Write

My friend Ann-Marie drops by unexpectedly to give me a book on writing by Stephen King. But she doesn't just have this wonderful gift in her hand - she also has a carved box with a quote from Ernest Hemingway on the side.
"A writer must write what he (or she) has to say, not speak it." (OK, I added that part.)
Ann-Marie tells me she was in Buffalo, saw it, and thought of me, her friend, the writer. She says she felt guilty when she bought The Bridgeman for only $3.99. I look into her beautiful eyes, her skin that shines so youthful, and I am close to tears. Little does she know that her support and friendship are worth far more than money could ever be. I am the luckiest person alive, with friends like her, a loving family, a job that I believe I was born to do.
And now a beautiful little box, carved with pens strewn across the lid, reminding me that a writer must write.
Each time I look at it, I will be inspired to clack away at the keys of my lovely little laptop, my head in a fictional world, my heart in the real one. I will think of how fortunate I am and smile.
Now go enter the Emily Taylor contest, so I can give a little back!
Cathy




No comments: