Monday, October 8, 2012

Thankful doesn't begin...

...to describe how I feel about my life. It certainly hasn't been perfect; there were plenty of low times, tragic times, periods when I felt as though I couldn't even go on. But I am, at 62, a most fortunate person. How could I not be grateful?
I have a loving, supportive husband who is my partner, my best friend, my lover. He's handsome, witty, smart, and kind. And wonder of wonders, he adores me just as I adore him.
My daughter is an incredible person: she's smart, generous, loving, dedicated and beautiful. She's a far better mother than I ever was, nurturing and wise beyond her years. I absolutely worship her. She's an accomplished film producer and casting director, who is able to open doors that no one else can even imagine. Her time is coming and it will be filled with everything she's ever desired. Already she has the admiration of a great many people in her field, and it is well deserved.  She has brought three children into my life whom I adore, who fill my life with a love that's so often astonishing and overwhelming. I have such affection for her partner, who loves her enough to struggle through all the problems and reattach a fractured little family.
My son is handsome, loving, kind, ambitious and brilliant. He's creatively gifted. I adore him. He's written several intelligent, exciting scripts, directed two films, and acquired a myriad of other skills in his chosen industry. It's such a competitive field, but he will prevail. He will succeed. His wife is my daughter too; a person whose love, intelligence, charm, talent and beauty are both on the outside and thoroughly part of who she is. She's an amazing woman whose career has only just begun. I love her with all my heart.
My mother, though lost in dementia, still has her core: a wicked sense of humour, a loving spirit, a kind-hearted soul, and a sixth sense of insight that's rather spooky. When she says, I love you too, honey, I feel a rush of warmth and joy that's unmatched.
My sisters are the kind of women who light up a room when they walk into it. They are as lovely on the outside as they are inside. They are my best female friends, my confidantes, loving, fun, and infinitely interesting.  There's nothing like loving a sibling and having that returned. Their partners, and now their grown-up children, add so much to my life that I can't think of them without a mix of tears of joy, laughter, a swelling in my heart, as I picture every single one of their beautiful faces.
My step-sons and their wives and children are such a gift to me. I am grateful every day that they are a part of my life. They're funny, smart, sweet, generous, accomplished, and gorgeous. Again, that astonishing love for grandchildren that overwhelms every grandparent washes over me daily.
My extended family, my cousins, aunts, uncles, have always been a huge influence on me, and in some lucky circumstances, continue to be. I love them, cherish their friendship, and am happy when I'm in their sphere, whether in person or, if I can't be there, electronically. Thanks, Facebook, for that gift!
On top of this amazing family, I have my friends. Some of whom are "like sisters" and bring all the qualities of my natural sisters into my heart.
I am absolutely the luckiest person alive when it comes to friends, both male and female. Sometimes I turn around and wonder what I did in another life to deserve so many fascinating, loyal, supportive, loving people in this life.
I have some younger friends, too, who are like my kids, whom I have watched grow into citizens of the world, of whom I am always so very proud.
To add to my fortune in people, I have a second career that is satisfying, fun, absorbing, and challenging. A career I've always dreamed of having. I look into the future with hope and goosebumps of excitement.
So how can I not be awash in gratitude this Thanksgiving Day?

1 comment:

Alison E. Bruce said...

We're all thankful for you too.