Friday, December 14, 2012

I'm A Patterson/Grafton Cross!

Recently, a reviewer told me that my writing is a cross between James Patterson and Sue Grafton (the reviewer's name is Richard Houston and his book is A View to Die For). I was chuffed! And I knew exactly what he meant by the compliment.

My books deal with dark subjects, animal and child abuse among them. Gritty like Patterson. The sad side of our reality; the world at its worst. My heroine, Emily Taylor, is a likeable, well-meaning, flawed character, like Sue Grafton's Kinsey Millhone.

I would like to add something to this list, just in case you turn away screaming: a nice person like Emily involved in horrible things! Why would I want to read that?

My novels are a juxtaposition of dark and light; evil and good; hate and love. And always, goodness wins. Love overcomes everything: the community and the individuals band together to become triumphant in the end.

I am fascinated by evil. How does a person become so twisted that they can abuse and even kill another living being? (And no, I did not have a traumatic experience in my past to explain this obsession. I was an elementary school teacher, a graduate of psychology in University, and I witnessed several children turn into sociopaths.)

I am also optimistic. I truly believe in love. I really do think that love can conquer evil. I believe it happens every day. Thus my novels always end with hope and joy.

Come by this weekend (December 14-16, 3-10 PM EST): we're having a Twitter Party! #ImajinBooks  Drop in for a moment or stay all day. Virtual parties are so convenient. You could win a free ebook or even a Kindle! And ask questions of the authors (including me, that Patterson/Grafton cross). All you do is log into Twitter, ask a question or make a comment with #ImajinAuthors as the hashtag, and you will be included in the fun. See you there!

No comments: