Wednesday, August 7, 2024

Auntie Beers' Ireland

Writing my book about a fictional ancestor involved some truth, too. My trips to Ireland helped inform the story. On one of those trips, in 1998, my husband and I brought my mother along. She was 76 years old but could keep up with us and outdo us every time at the pub. I wrote a journal about the trip. I'm going to put excerpts up here, along with images, most of which are yanked from the internet, since my pictures unfortunately have been lost. 

 

July 22, 1998: We head down the road toward Bantry, through lots of little villages. The scenery is lovely, green and expansive. The driving is harrowing with vine covered walls on each side of the narrow and winding roads. The homes are brightly coloured and resemble painting and post cards. Unfortunately, the rain continues.



 




www.catherineastolfo.ca

https://www.amazon.ca/Auntie-Beers-connected-short-stories/dp/1772421812


No comments: